Sauber have ruled out taking on the experienced Rubens Barrichello for next season, after the Brazilian said he was eager to get back on the grid.
The 41-year-old, who has a record 322 grand prix starts to his name, last competed with Williams in 2011 and is currently racing in Brazilian stock cars.
Earlier this week in the build-up to Sunday's Korean Grand Prix Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn fuelled speculation they might give a seat to Barrichello.
But on Saturday in Korea she said, according to the official Formula1.com website: "I am ruling out that he would drive for us. Maybe it is better if one is that clear about it."
Barrichello earlier tweeted to his more than two million followers: "Lots of things have being said this week about a possible F1 return. The truth is: if there is an opportunity, I'm in."
Sauber have not confirmed their drivers for 2014, but it is widely expected they will give one of their seats to the 18-year-old Russian Sergey Sirotkin.
Their current drivers are Esteban Gutierrez and Nico Hulkenberg.